WHY DO I HAVE URINE LEAKS AND HOW CAN I CONTROL IT?
Urinary Incontinence (UI), or loss of bladder control, is common in men over 60 years: 11-34% report light to heavy urinary incontinence. No surprise, since the condition can have a broad range of possible causes (like a urinary tract infection or enlarged prostate) and types. Remember, you could just be suffering from an overactive bladder. It may not necessarily be male incontinence.
What’s more, this number is probably an underestimation, since many men do not like to talk about this even to a health professional. Unfortunately, the vast majority prefer to silently live with the discomfort and stress rather than talking about the issue and seeking a solution. The reason for this is a mixture of shame and the misconception that incontinence in men is an inevitable part of ageing. When hearing about incontinence, men often tend to feel ashamed or old, which is not reality at all.
Important to know is that UI is a condition that can be diagnosed and managed. There are discreet solutions on the market to manage bladder leaks issues. Comfortable, invisible incontinence pads with odour control designed especially for men will allow you to continue your active lifestyle confidently.
CAUSES AND TYPES OF URINARY INCONTINENCE IN MEN
UI is not a disease but rather a symptom or the result of other health-related life events. Conditions that increase the chance of male urinary incontinence include prostate cancer (which may require prostate surgery to be cured), neurological problems, physical inactivity, obesity, chronic coughing, ageing, etc.
The types of UI are:
- Urge incontinence: involuntarily urinating after feeling a strong urgency
- Stress incontinence: urine leakage after sneezing, coughing, laughing, etc.
- Functional incontinence: when problems in communicating or thinking prevent a person to reach the toilet in time
- Overflow incontinence: when the bladder doesn’t empty properly and urine spills over
- Transient incontinence: UI as a side effect of medications or drugs
Your doctor will prescribe treatment depending on the cause and type of UI. This may include avoiding aggravating factors (such as coffee or alcohol), exercises to strengthen muscles, and “timed voiding” routines where you visit the bathroom at regular intervals. But especially for male incontinence, there are some easy tips to follow:
WHAT TO DO WHEN DIAGNOSED WITH URINARY INCONTINENCE
- Don’t be afraid. Keep in mind that it happens to most men your age and that incontinence in men is manageable.
- Trust your healthcare professional and talk to them. They are experienced and deal with such issues daily. They might suggest some Kegel exercises which can strengthen your pelvic floor muscles.
- Most importantly: talk to your loved ones. They will support you to help you find the right solution. Often, an honest chat is all it takes to go from suffering in silence to actively treating and managing the condition.
- Do not use any toilet paper to absorb the urine leaks. Toilet paper may not hold the leaks and can lead to more frustration for you.
- Regardless of the type of UI, bladder leak protection pads specifically designed for men are highly recommended. You may not like the idea at first, but soon you will find that today’s pads are very comfortable and discreet. Disposable pads are a great solution for you to regain your sense of security and confidence. There is no need to feel ashamed with male incontinence pads.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING INCONTINENCE PADS
These are some aspects to look for when shopping for pads:
- Choose pads that are specifically designed for men. These are wider and more absorbent in the front part of the underwear, whereas women require more absorbency towards the middle or bottom of the underwear.
- Look for pads that have the right absorbency as per your needs.
- There are protection pads with odour control feature.
- Softness and comfort are important. We recommend you try samples first before buying products.
- Good quality pads are dermatologically tested.
- Anti-leak barrier in heavier absorption pads can help avoid any accidental leaks.
PROFESSIONAL SOLUTIONS FOR INCONTINENCE IN MEN
iD offers specialised pads for men that match all these requirements. Their design is fully adapted to the masculine anatomy, providing optimum protection and comfort. iD for men comes with a Power Dry technology that has unique features like maximum absorption, odour control, shape & size adapted per level of absorption & anti-leak barrier for the heavier absorption pad (Level 3) to ensure that mixed incontinence does not affect your daily life.