It’s that time of year again! You might be wondering about excellent bladder-friendly drinks that you can swap for alcoholic, caffeinated, and highly-acidic citrus beverages, as these drinks can irritate your bladder when consumed in large amounts, and thus, trigger accidents.
We’ve compiled 3 nutritious drinks to maintain good bladder health this holiday season. These are not only excellent sources of vitamins and minerals but also taste very delicious that even your kids will enjoy.
Apple Cider Punchi
This non-alcoholic version doesn’t include dark rum, which can irritate and strain your bladder. Instead, you can put apple cider and other juices to make this drink just as delicious. Apple cider, in particular, may help prevent the growth of E. coli bacteria, which can cause UTIs.ii
Total preparation time: 10 minutes
What You’ll Need for 4 People (Qty: for how many people)
- 1/8 litre apple cider
- 1/4 bottle of sparkling water
- 1 cup white grape juice
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 large apple
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Ice cubes to serve
- In a large pitcher or punch bowl, combine sparkling water, apple cider, orange juice, and grape juice. Add small slices from two apples.
- Fill glasses with ice to serve. Garnish each glass with 1 slice of apple and 1 cinnamon stick.
Virgin Strawberry Daiquiriiii
Strawberries take the spotlight as the alternative for rum and citrus in this daiquiri drink. It is rich in antioxidants that are associated with various health benefits, such as decreased oxidative stress levels, reduced blood cholesterol levels, and improved cardiovascular function.iv
Servings: 2 to 3
Total preparation time: 5 minutes
What You’ll Need for up to 3 People (Qty: for how many people)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- ¾ cup white grape juice or apple juice
- 1 cup of cold water
- 6 ice cubes
- 2 cups frozen strawberries, hulled and cut in half
- 3 fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves
- Combine water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Boil the mixture for five minutes to create a syrup. Refrigerate syrup.
- In a blender, toss syrup, cold water, lime juice, white grape or apple juice, frozen strawberries, and 3 ice cubes.
- Blend at HIGH until smooth.
- Put all of the remaining ice cubes. Blend again until ice cubes are crushed.
- Fill cocktail glasses and garnish each with mint leaves and/or one piece of fresh strawberry.
Tropical Ginseng Smoothiev
Derived from ginseng root, ginseng is a Chinese herbal medicine for increasing the blood flow throughout the body, thereby acting as a stimulant and making you feel alert much like what coffee does.vi In a way, this ginseng smoothie serves as a nutritious substitute to caffeinated drinks or at least help you lower your daily caffeine intake.
Total preparation time: 15
What You’ll Need for 4 People
- 1/4 cup coconut water
- 20g fresh mango
- 1/8 cup fresh pineapple, chunks
- 1/4 pinch nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- In a blender, pour 8-ounce coconut water. Put all of the other ingredients together.
- Start the blender on LOW and gradually increase to higher speeds until smooth.
- Pour each glass with the mixture. Garnish with cinnamon powder and one pineapple chunk.
There you have it: your three wholesome substitutes for alcoholic, caffeinated, and fizzy drinks to keep your bladder healthy this winter! Be sure to avoid foods that might irritate your bladder, such as chocolates, tomatoes, and spicy dishes. It’s also best to follow your recommended dietary plan and bladder training routine so you can always look and feel your best. And finally, if you have heavier and sometimes unavoidable accidents, consider putting on discreet pads and pants to absorb bladder leaks.
To find out the right product for you, read more here.
Do you want to get the latest updates on bladder weakness? Sign up below: